Monday, March 13, 2017

Silly, Funny or Foolish

We all have different senses of humor. In the 1960's the phrase "sick" was coined in regards to humor. Sick humor is humorous but may be in bad taste. Think of the humor of Foster Brooks or Ben Colder from the 1960's where they made fun of inebriated people. In light of the fact that we now know that alcoholism is a serious disease, many of those skits now just seem sad. 

I love to laugh. I love the videos of babies laughing. Have you seen the one of the baby laughing at ripping paper? Have you ever gotten the giggles at the wrong time? Have you ever laughed so hard that the tears ran down your legs? Laughter is good for the soul. There is so much sadness in the world so it's important to take time out to laugh and be silly and foolish. Certain personalities find it easier to be foolish than others.  I have a memory of watching the movie Sister Act with friends in a hotel room while we were at a conference. One of my friends jumped up on the bed to dance during the songs. What fun! I am grateful that my family loves to laugh. I am grateful to spend time with children who love to laugh. Being silly almost always puts me in a better mood. 

When I tried a new water fitness class last week, we were asked to form a couple of circles and we did the "hokey-pokey" in the water! We were uncomfortable with new people and some had disabilities so putting our right leg in and out of the circle helped to break the ice. Then we did an exercise holding on to our neighbor's water noodle. It was fun! Seeing myself in a swimsuit or in the mirrors in the workout room could make me cry in hopelessness unless I can see the humor and joy in my life.  I hope you find opportunities to be silly and to laugh this week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment