Monday, August 29, 2016

Distraction...

I am usually hungry after my morning kayak and today I was hungry for an Olive Garden salad made with Romaine lettuce, onion, croutons, Parmesan cheese and salami.  I know I just said in my last blog that salami or summer sausage should not be our main protein but oh, well, that's what I was hungry for! The problem of distraction arose when I couldn't remember where I moved the croutons. I think it's easier to be distracted when you are retired because you do not have to be as focused on time.

  • I cut up the Romaine lettuce and onion and went to look for croutons.
  • I looked in the first cupboard and saw that I had recently bought three different kinds of flour and hadn't emptied them into the appropriate cannisters yet so let's do that now.
  • I looked into the second drawer and found some marshmallows that were mushed and sticky so I took them out to remind myself to make Rice Krispie bars before the weekend.
  • I also found the German chocolate bar and took that out wondering if I can find that recipe I wanted to try.
  • Oh, look, the toilet paper that I bought two days ago is in the corner of the kitchen so I'd better put it away. 
  • Oh and this bill is on the counter and I'd better pay it before I forget. 
  • Here's the salami and Parmesan cheese but the handles on the fridge are sticky so I'd better clean them.
  • Still looking for the croutons and I looked where the crackers are so I should straighten that area out and taste to see if any crackers are getting stale. 
  • What the heck....will eat the salad without croutons but with a few crackers! 
Naturally, the conventional wisdom is to find ways to focus.  Personally I have a love/hate thing going with really focused people.  I envy their sheer determination in keeping that focus going and 
often think that would be a great thing to have.  On the other hand if I was walking around single-mindedly focusing on one thing, there is a boatload of things I wouldn’t notice or see.  And what if one of those things could be the greatest inspiration of my life?  See the dilemma? (From https://writerchick.wordpress.com/2014/02/19/do-you-have-oh-look-theres-a-squirrel-syndrome/)


No comments:

Post a Comment